Following is a list of events and resources we think are important and may be of interest to you.
PPUF will join our sisters and brothers of the Homelss Solidarity Committee to bring visibility to the continuing struggles of people displaced by the closing of the Long Island Shelter.
What the heck is a block grant & why are they sometimes a bad idea? Especially when food is concerned!
Read this Washington Post to learn more…
-A Preview of the FY 17 State Budget — see this link
-Advisory Board of the Massachusetts Department of Transitional AssistancePPUF’s Georgia Mattison was recently appointed to Boston Advisory Board of the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance. This group is under the auspices of the Commonwealth of MA. The members discuss all aspects of welfare programs and policies and offers a view of their impact on people who must live with them. It’s good to have Georgia’s compassionate voice around that table!
Organizations With Information on Poverty/Housing/Homelessness
|Boston Tenant Coalition||www.masstenants.net|
|Center On Budget and Policy Prioirities||ww.cbpp.org|
|City Housing and Planning Association||www.chapa.org|
|Greater Boston Interfaith Council||www.gbio.org|
|Mass Coalition for the Homeless||www.mahomeless.org|
|Mass Human Services Coalition||www.cutnomore.org|
|Political Research Associates||www.publiceye.org|
|Network, A Catholic Social Justice Lobby||www.networklobby.org/|
|Ann WIthorn, Professor of Social Policy||https://radicalreentry.com /|
- The Prophetic Imagination by Walter Brueggemann
- Power, Providence, and Personality: Biblical Insight into Life and Ministry by Walter Brueggemann
- The Careless Society: Community and Its Counterfeits by John McKnight
- The Visible Poor: Homelessness in the United States by Joel Blau
- Revolutionary Patience by Dorothee Solle, Robert Kimber (Translator)
- Stations of the Cross: A Latin American Pilgrimage by Dorothee Soelle
- The Needs of Strangers by Michael Ignatieff
- People of God: The Struggle For World Catholicism by Penny Lernoux
- Sweet Charity?: Emergency Food and the End of Entitlement by Janet Poppendieck
- Treating the Poor: A Personal Sojourn Through the Rise and Fall of Community Mental Health by Matthew P. Dumont
- The Great U-Turn: Corporate Restructuring and the Polarizing of America by Bennett Harrison, Barry Bluestone
- Boiling Point by Kevin Phillips
- Pedagogies for the Non-Poor by Evans, Evans and Kennedy
- To Act Justly, Love Tenderly, Walk Humbly: An Agenda for Ministers by Walter Brueggeman, Sharon Parks, Thomas H. Groome