Following is a list of events and resources we think are important and may be of interest to you.
Saturday, December 9, 2017 Benefit for PPUF
Aardvark Orchestra’s annual Christmas Concert
PPUF is very excited about the upcoming concert offered by the trumpeter-composer Mark Harvey and his Aardvark Jazz Orchestra. Part of the proceeds will benefit the work of PPUF, for which we are very grateful!
Come hear the extraordinary jazz carols and music that form the heartbeat of their historic 45th Annual Christmas concert. Partial proceeds will benefit PPUF, for which we are very proud!!
We look forward to seeing you on December 9, 2017 at Emmanuel Church, 15 Newbury Street, Boston from 7:30-9pm!!
Information: 617-452-3205 or 617-776-8778
October 29th, 2017 First Church Cambridge awarded
Fran Froehlich of PPUF a Mitch Snyder Award for her years of work
for poor and homeless people.
Housing Out of Reach
See how much it costs to rent a two bedroom apartment in each state. http://nlihc.org/oor
Cut to Food Stamps: President Trump’s 2018 budget proposes to cut the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps) by more than $193 billion over the next ten years — a more than 25 percent cut — through a massive cost shift to states… read more….
What the heck is a block grant & why are they sometimes a bad idea? Especially when food is concerned!
Read this Washington Post to learn more…
-A Preview of the FY 17 State Budget — see this link
-Advisory Board of the Massachusetts Department of Transitional AssistancePPUF’s Georgia Mattison was recently appointed to Boston Advisory Board of the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance. This group is under the auspices of the Commonwealth of MA. The members discuss all aspects of welfare programs and policies and offers a view of their impact on people who must live with them. It’s good to have Georgia’s compassionate voice around that table!
Organizations With Information on Poverty/Housing/Homelessness
|Boston Tenant Coalition||www.masstenants.net|
|Center On Budget and Policy Prioirities||ww.cbpp.org|
|City Housing and Planning Association||www.chapa.org|
|Greater Boston Interfaith Council||www.gbio.org|
|Mass Coalition for the Homeless||www.mahomeless.org|
|Mass Human Services Coalition||www.cutnomore.org|
|Political Research Associates||www.publiceye.org|
|Network, A Catholic Social Justice Lobby||www.networklobby.org/|
|Ann WIthorn, Professor of Social Policy||https://radicalreentry.com /||https://www.communitycatalyst.org/ /|
- The Prophetic Imagination by Walter Brueggemann
- Power, Providence, and Personality: Biblical Insight into Life and Ministry by Walter Brueggemann
- The Careless Society: Community and Its Counterfeits by John McKnight
- The Visible Poor: Homelessness in the United States by Joel Blau
- Revolutionary Patience by Dorothee Solle, Robert Kimber (Translator)
- Stations of the Cross: A Latin American Pilgrimage by Dorothee Soelle
- The Needs of Strangers by Michael Ignatieff
- People of God: The Struggle For World Catholicism by Penny Lernoux
- Sweet Charity?: Emergency Food and the End of Entitlement by Janet Poppendieck
- Treating the Poor: A Personal Sojourn Through the Rise and Fall of Community Mental Health by Matthew P. Dumont
- The Great U-Turn: Corporate Restructuring and the Polarizing of America by Bennett Harrison, Barry Bluestone
- Boiling Point by Kevin Phillips
- Pedagogies for the Non-Poor by Evans, Evans and Kennedy
- To Act Justly, Love Tenderly, Walk Humbly: An Agenda for Ministers by Walter Brueggeman, Sharon Parks, Thomas H. Groome